This week we have guest contributor Andrea Pokorny sharing her top weight loss tip. Andrea is the founder of MainstreamMom.com where she writes about debt proofing, budgeting, and home management.
The BEST Books, Websites, and Work-Outs to Help You Lose Weight
I used to have the best intentions to create healthy habits, but I would consistently land flat on my face. Never for lack of trying. Usually because I just didn’t know any better.
Like when I would start an exercise regimen. I’d wake up at 5:00 AM for four or five days, work my tail off and feel all empowered. By the end of the week I’d be slapping the snooze button and hugging my pillow like it was my lifeline.
Or when I decided I wanted to lose some weight. I’d eat fruit for breakfast, skip lunch and have a salad for supper. By the third day I’d be so famished I’d eat two breakfasts, a couple small lunches and order a pizza with extra cheese for supper.
This was until I learned about moderation. I learned in order to make life-long healthy habits I first had to decide what I really wanted. I had to be realistic and flexible. I got to know myself and I set some goals.
How could I possibly lose weight or stick to an exercise routine if I didn’t understand how to eat smart and exercise smart to begin with?
My saving grace was the library and the web.
Reading is my passion. I love to learn. I also love my kids and I wanted to be the best me I could for them (which I’m sure you do too).
Today, I’m at my target weight, I exercise regularly, eat healthy and I feel great. I want you to feel great too. You can accomplish this without waking up at 5:00 AM and without starving yourself!
Here’s a list of websites, DVD’s, articles and books to help you learn a thing or two about eating healthy, exercising and creating habits that will stick.
WARNING: All this knowledge may turn you into the Sexiest Mom of the Year!
Read these books only if you’re ready to change your life for the better (remember, the library rents books out for free):
- Master Your Metabolism – Jillian Michaels. Learn how to train your hormones to automatically burn –not store– fat.
- Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food — Author Lysa TerKeurst examines the spiritual aspect to her eating habits.
- The Happiness Project – Gretchen Rubin. Be happier, starting right now by taking small actionable steps.
- Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrows Success – John C. Maxwell. Get to understand your priorities AND what you’re doing about them.
- Fueled By Faith: Living Vibrantly in the Power of Prayer – Jennifer Kennedy Dean. Learn how to use faith and prayer to enhance your life.
- Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self Acceptance – Rosie Molinary. Build lasting self esteem.
These articles and websites will inspire you and get you thinking about making some good habits:
- Yoga to Get Your Heart Healthy — WomenFitness. An online guide to achieve healthy weight loss and optimum fitness.
- How to Train Your Mind for Success — PickTheBrain. Discover autosuggestion and how it could change your life.
- 31 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Exercise — ZenHabits. Find the motivation to exercise when you just don’t feel like it.
- The Sisterhood Of The Shrinking Jeans — ShrinkingJeans. Make healthy choices and get fit here.
- 13 Ways to Stay Motivated to Slim Down — WomensHealthMag. Focus on eating healthy, burning fat and finding your perfect body weight.
These sites will teach you a thing or two about eating healthy, getting organized and becoming that woman everyone thinks ‘has it all together’:
- Healthy Meals Without Complaint — MealMakeoverMoms.com. Practical advice on bringing good nutrition to the dinner table.
- What is REAL food? — Nourish MD.com. An online (free) resource created by two Moms who are also health experts.
- Real Moms Love to Eat — Your go-to site for food and healthy inspiration.
- ShopWell — They take the work out of reading nutrition labels. Shop smarter with their help so you can eat better.
- Cozi.com — Get organized with this (free) online calendar designed specifically for busy parents. Organize your busy family schedule, shopping list and to do lists (don’t forget to include your exercise time).
- WeightWatchers.com — With their new Points Plus program, WeightWatchers teaches you how to make healthy food choices and transforms the way you look at food. And with their fabulous online features, you can choose to work the program online or offline!
Workout DVD’s that are worth every cent. Turn your living room into your I’m So Sexy I Can’t Stand It gym:
- 30 Day Shred — Jillian Michaels. Lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days. This DVD will get you lookin’ fine!
- Boot Camp Total Body Blast — Denise Austin. Get three great workouts — cardio, strength and stretching — all in 20 minutes or less.
- P90X — Get absolutely ripped in 90 days. This is an intense workout with some time committment, daily. This is no joke. If you put in the work, you’ll see crazy awesome results.
- Women’s Health: Total Workout in Ten! — Amy Dixon. Warm up, exercise and cool down stretching all within 10 minutes.
- Fat Burning Kickboxing Workout for Dummies — Burn 700+ calories in this 56-minute program.
Best wishes to you and your health. You deserve to look and feel your best. I hope this list has provided you some ammunition. Now get busy because there’s only one you.
Want to catch up with our previous Winter Weight Off posts?
Winter Weight Off
Weight Loss Tip #1 — No Dieting!
Weight Loss Tip #2 — Fill Up on Fiber
Weight Loss Recipe — Red River w Ground Flax
Weight Loss Tip #3 — Look for the LIGHT…
Weight Loss Tip #4 — Do it like the Diabetics
Are you posting your Winter Weight Off journey too?
If you want to join me for healthy eating tips and healthy weight loss this spring in our “Winter Weight Off,” I have posted a linky for bloggers to link up on my intro post. Feel free to join in and link up there, and find other bloggers who are participating.
As well, I post a new linky here so you can link up with a post you have written this week.
EVERY MONDAY AFTERNOON, starting February 14th, 2011, I post a fresh linky along with my Weight Loss Tip for the week. You can link up your latest Winter Weight Off posts every week in those fresh linkies. (And of course visit previous linkies to find our readers’ own inspiring posts!)
SO SORRY that this week’s post was a day late AND that I missed last week! Traveling sure can take a hit to your healthy eating plans — and your healthy POSTING plans! Please feel free to add links to your posts from last week and this week!
Link Up Your Winter Weight Off posts this week below:
What are your favorite resources for healthy eating and lifestyle habits?
Have any books changed the way you look at food?
Do you prefer to exercise at the gym or at home?
(Feel free to answer in your post or just post whatever you want to share with your readers about your healthy living journey.)
PLEASE NOTE: We are NOT health professionals, nor do we make any health or medical claims or advice here at 5 Minutes for Mom. We are simply sharing our opinions and personal experiences. Please consult your doctor about all medical issues and make sure you follow your doctor and health professional’s instructions regarding your health and diet.
Written by Guest Contributor, Andrea Pokorny, from MainstreamMom.com