This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This easy recipe for oven roasted potatoes and peppers is great for quick weeknight dinners. It’s a perfect side dish and your family will love the flavor.
Cooking this recipe with the potatoes along the outside of the pan ensures that the peppers and onions won’t get overcooked before the potatoes are done.
You can toss everything together once it comes out of the oven.
Note: We’ve used small red potatoes in this recipe, sliced in pieces 1/2 inch thick so that they roast quickly. You could also use small gold potatoes. Some types of potatoes, such as Russet potatoes, can take longer to cook and should be parboiled before roasting.
This makes a huge pan of roasted potatoes and onions with red peppers, so it’s perfect for a big family dinner or for meal prep. We like to make this on Sunday and use it as a side dish for quick and easy meals throughout the week.
It can be served as a side dish alongside any type of grilled meat or fish for a quick weeknight meal, or with an egg on top for an easy breakfast.
To make it a complete meal, you could add some sausages to the pan for a one-pan sausage and potato dinner.
To brighten up the dish, we added fresh basil, but you could use whatever herbs you like. A sprinkling of green onions or parsley would be nice too.
If you don’t already have a basil plant in your kitchen, we recommend getting one. Small basil plants are often available for less than $5 at the grocery store. If you keep a basil plant by the window and water it regularly, you can have affordable fresh basil at any time.
How to Make Oven Roasted Potatoes & Peppers
Preheat the oven to 450 Degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Add the sliced potatoes to a large bowl along with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 of the teaspoon pepper.
They key is to cut the potato into thin wedges so that they don’t take too long to roast in the oven.
Toss potatoes in the olive oil with the salt and pepper to combine. (We often substitute Herbamare Herbed Sea Salt instead of regular salt.)
Then pour onto a baking sheet, leaving enough room in the middle for the peppers and onions.
Add the cut peppers and onions to the bowl along with the remaining olive oil, salt, and pepper. Be sure the peppers are cut into quite large pieces. Toss in the oil to combine and pour onto the center of the baking sheet.
Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Just before serving, mix the potatoes, onions and peppers together and then sprinkle with freshly torn basil.
Ideas for Extra Roasted Vegetables
One of the best parts about an easy recipe like this is that you can add whatever extra ingredients you want.
Here are a few suggestions for you to add to these oven roasted potatoes…
- Garlic Cloves – You can easily toss in some cloves of garlic to add even more flavor to this recipe.
- Baby Carrots – We often add carrots when we are roasting potatoes. The baby carrots that come pre-washed are so quick and easy to use since they are already a good size for roasting.
- Broccoli – Make this side dish of vegetables even healthier by adding some broccoli to the pan. Keep the broccoli pieces quite large if you are going to roast them for the entire 25 minutes. Another option is to wait and add smaller pieces of broccoli and peppers to the pan for just the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking.
Seasoning for Roasted Potatoes, Onions and Peppers
Variety is the spice of life, right?
So mix up your roasted veggies with different seasonings to keep your family from getting tired of the same recipe.
What spices are good on roasted potatoes?
When we’re making roasted potatoes and onions, we often use Herbamare Herbed Sea Salt along with black pepper for a simple flavor.
But here are three more ideas for spices and seasoning roast potatoes:
- Bring up the flavor with onion powder or garlic powder.
- Try the classic mixture of rosemary, garlic and thyme.
- For a stronger kick, sprinkle on paprika, curry powder and/or cumin before roasting in the oven.
Oven Roasted Potatoes and Peppers
- 24 ounce red potatoes 1 bag
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil leaves optional
- Preheat the oven to 450 Degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop potatoes into wedges 1/2 inch thick.
- Slice peppers and onions into fairly large pieces.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl along with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 of the teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine and pour onto a baking sheet, leaving enough room in the middle for the peppers and onions.
- Add the peppers and onions to the bowl along with the remaining olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine and pour onto the center of the baking sheet.(It's important to place the potatoes around the edges of the pan to help them cook faster. When roasting potatoes like this, it's best to use small red or gold potatoes. If using russet potatoes, parboil them for about 10 minutes before roasting.)
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with freshly torn basil.
Pin this Recipe for Later
We truly appreciate when you pin and share our recipes!
Leave a Comment