I was an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie girl. Until these cookies.
In fact, I was so solidly part of the Oatmeal RAISIN camp, that I winced a bit at the thought of chocolate chips in my oatmeal. For me, I would take raisins or nothing in my oatmeal cookies, thank you very much.
However, my daughter Olivia lives full time in the ALL things with CHOCOLATE camp. Since she put her first cookie in her mouth, she has refused to allow raisins to have anything to do with her cookies.
So, I have adjusted, as we moms will do, and no longer try to push the raisins. When I make oatmeal cookies, I make them plain. There. We both win.
But, recently Olivia tested positive for a screening blood test for celiac disease. Olivia is already one of the pickiest eaters on this planet, (the girl doesn’t even like French Fries!) and so I am more than a little concerned if I have to remove all gluten from her life, forever.
While we have to wait and do a second blood test in a month, and then decide if we will have her undergo a biopsy for a definitive diagnosis, I am trying to prepare both her and myself for the chance that we may indeed have to go completely gluten free.
In order to stay positive about the situation, Olivia and I made some Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Because I know that adjusting to the taste of gluten-free will probably be challenging for Olivia, I added chocolate chips to the recipe. (Olivia also convinced me to top a handful of them with Smarties too, even though Smarties are not actually gluten free. Olivia has to remain on gluten for her next round of tests, so I conceded.)
Olivia and I both LOVED the cookies and I am now a member of the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip camp. (I ate enough cookies to earn a life time membership, I am pretty sure.)
I have been experimenting with gluten free flours and recipes on and off for the last six months, and I love learning from the veterans gluten free bloggers.
This recipe I adapted from the Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from The Baking Beauties.
Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies #Recipe
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 gluten-free flour mix
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper
- Add flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda to a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined and set aside
- With a mixer or by hand, cream butter and sugars together
- Add eggs, incorporating one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture
- Add vanilla and stir until well blended
- Pour dry mixture into wet mixture, 1/3 at a time
- Add oats and mix
- Add chocolate chips and stir to distribute evenly
- Form balls with about 2 tablespoons of dough
- Place on lined cookie sheet and press down with a fork or by hand
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, making sure not to over bake - I find that gluten free cookies don't brown as much as my regular cookies
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating and cool completely on wire rack before storing (I always eat my cookies when they are still so warm they are falling apart - I can't resist)
- I refrigerated half of my dough and baked the second half the next day. I find gluten free cookies taste much better when they are fresh from the oven.
Find More Gluten Free Recipes on our Pinterest Board