This is my favorite time of year! Our farm’s fresh melons are starting to be big and plump enough to pick. We have watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew.
I love finding cold Summer treats that utilize the fresh produce in our area or available at our farmer’s market. This easy melon Granita is super simple to make, only requires 4 ingredients and tastes like Summer in my mouth.
So grab a ripe melon, your blender and a few simple ingredients and make yourself this guilt-free treat.
- 3 cups melon, cubed – watermelon, honeydew or cantaloupe
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- ⅓ cup sugar, or less to taste
- pinch of salt
- Place the cubed melon into a blender. Add the juice, sugar and salt.
- Pulse up the melon until you have a thick pulp. Do not puree. Some small chunks are just fine.
- Pour the mixture into metal freezer trays. Freeze for one hour.
- At one hour, take a fork and break up the frozen chunks. Take care to scrape the edges.
- Every half hour afterwards repeat by breaking up the chunks with a fork. This will keep the mixture from freezing solid. After all the liquid has frozen you can go through again with a fork to break up any large chunks right before serving.