Disney has released their movie line-up for 2012 and it looks like there’s something for everyone! 5M4M Contributor Christie O. has a sneak peek.
Disney has an exciting lineup of movies this year lined up! There are some new flicks for kids, some for the bigger kid in all of us and then a revisit to the classics of the past. Here’s a look at what they’ve got coming up:
- Coming up soon! January 13: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D (G): A wonderful classic remastered and digitally enhanced with Disney Digital 3D for the big screen. One of the things I love about these re-releases (there are a few more this year too) is that my kids get to return to the movie theater to see the movies I grew up with. Fun fact: Beauty and the Beast was nominated for six Academy Awards.
February 17: THE SECRET WORLD OF ARRIETTY: From the makers of the movie, “Ponyo” comes a movie based on the children book series “The Borrowers.” “Arrietty” (Bridgit Mendler) lives beneath the floorboards with her parents (voiced by Will Arnett and Amy Poehler) but is discovered by a 12-year-old human and a secret friendship blossoms.
- March 9: JOHN CARTER (PG-13), also in Disney Digital 3D and IMAX 3D: Based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs novel, John Carter is about a war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who gets transported to Mars and it’s up to him to save a planet that is in the middle of a war. You can “like” John Carter on Facebook and to check out the trailers too.
- April 20 (Earth Day): CHIMPANZEE: From Disneynature comes a true life story of a chimpanzee named “Oscar,” who lives deep in the forests of Africa and gets taken in by an unlikely ally after being left to fend for himself. “Chimpanzee” is the fourth release by Disneynature, which also released “Earth,” “Oceans,” and “African Cats.” You can “like” Chimpanzee on Facebook here.
- May 4: MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS, also in 3D and IMAX 3D (Marvel Studios): Called the “Super hero team up of a lifetime” Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow all come together to pull the word back from the brink of disaster! Among the many stars in Marvel’s The Avengers, are Scarlett Johansson, Robert Downey, Jr., Samuel L. Jackson & Mark Ruffalo. You can “like” Marvel’s The Avengers on Facebook.
- June 22: BRAVE, also in Disney Digital 3D (Disney/Pixar): Starring Disney Pixar’s first female lead, Merida, a skilled archer and the daughter of King Fergus, is determined to carve her own path in life. She finds the meaning of true bravery when she confronts tradition and the fiercest of beasts. A movie after my own heart. You can like Brave on Facebook here. And follow Disney Pixar on Twitter.
- August 15: THE ODD LIFE OF TIMOTHY GREEN (PG): A young couple (played by Jennifer Garner & Joel Edgarton) excited about starting a family and can only dream about their own child would be like when a young boy shows up at their door and shows them that the unexpected can be one of life’s greatest gifts. You can “like” The Odd Life of Timothy Green on Facebook.
- September 14: FINDING NEMO 3D (Disney/Pixar): Back to the big screen and digitally remastered with Disney 3D is Finding Nemo! (A classic that has been bought and rebought on account of overuse in our house, that’s for sure!)
- October 5: FRANKENWEENIE, also in Disney Digital 3D: Tim Burton’s is back with a new tale just in time for Halloween. Frankenweenie is a heartwarming tale of a young boy who wants to be reunited with his dog. He brings back his dog through a science experiment, Sparky gets out, and the adventure ensues!
- November 12: WRECK-IT RALPH, also in Disney Digital 3D (Walt Disney Animation Studios): This is one of the movie previews we got to see on the Disney Dreamworks trip for Cars 2 last summer but it wasn’t finished yet so the previews still had some original storyboard drawings. It’s about a guy in a video game called “Wreck it Ralph,” who travels through the power outlet and stops at all the games on the way. It looks great!
What do you think about the lineup this year? What are you excited to see?
Written by 5 Minutes for Mom contributing writer, Christie O., author of the blog Average Moms Wear Capes.