This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This is one of those days that I’d love to be sitting outside with a cool Spring dessert, unfortunately our weather has been less than cooperative. Jumping from a chilly 60 degrees one day to a steamy 85 degrees the next, I can’t help but wonder if we just skipped Spring altogether and jumped straight into summer.
Never-the-less, whatever the weather decides to do, that won’t stop me from enjoying one of my absolute favorite Spring desserts … lemon curd. A small bowl of sweet, grilled pound cake, tart lemon curd and fresh blackberries reminds me what I enjoy most about Spring, the fruit.
Lemons and blackberries are my favorites for Spring, so how about you, what’s your favorite Spring fruit?
- 4 slices of pound cake fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large lemons
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter diced
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest divided in half
- Heat a double boiler over medium-high heat with 1 inch of water in the bottom pan. Or you can use a medium (heat safe) glass Pyrex bowl over a pot that allows the bowl to sit on top without touching the water.
- While the water is heating to a simmer, in the Pyrex bowl, beat eggs until combined.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons through a strainer into a measuring cup until you have 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice.
- Use a microplane to remove the lemon skin (zest) into a small bowl and divide in half.
- Add the juice and half the zest to the egg mixture and whisk together until smooth.
- Place the bowl over the simmering pot of water, stirring constantly with a whisk for about 10 minutes. The mixture will become thickened.
- Remove from heat, add the remaining zest and butter, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with grilled pound cake (or fresh) and blackberries.
Pin it for Later
Leave a Comment