This light and healthy recipe for Pan Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks with Avocado Salsa is perfect for spring and summer. It is full of flavor, healthy fat, and nutrition. If you are on a gluten-free, Paleo, or keto diet, you’ll really love this recipe.
Since this meal is very high in heart-healthy fats, it feels satisfying and satiating. You won’t miss the carbs at all.
How To Make Pan Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks with Avocado Salsa
You want to make the salsa first so the flavors have time to blend while you prepare the fish. If you can remember, give it a stir every five minutes or so.
The red onion and gives the salsa a beautiful color, but you could use the entire green onion and omit the red onion altogether.
You could easily double this recipe. It’s gorgeous served on a large platter with the salsa on top, lemon slices tucked in and around the fish, and a generous sprinkling of cilantro all over the top.
- 2 6-ounce Ahi tuna steaks, approximately ¾" thick
- 2 small avocados, peeled and diced (or one large)
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 green onions, tops only, thinly sliced
- Juice of one large lemon, approximately 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped + extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Add the avocado, tomato, green onion, red onion, one tablespoon of lemon juice, one tablespoon of olive oil, and ¼ cup of cilantro to a bowl.
- Stir to combine and taste. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Set the salsa aside while you prepare the fish.
- To prepare the fish, pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with a little salt and pepper.
- Place a nonstick pan or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and carefully lay a fish in the pan.
- Cook for two minutes on each side, remove from the pan, and allow it to rest for five minutes.
- To serve, place the fish on a plate, and spoon the salsa over it.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and a little more chopped cilantro and green onions.
Pin it for Later