As pet parents, we want to protect our animals and keep them healthy. But did you know that many common foods and plants are toxic to cats and dogs? March 18 – 24 is NATIONAL ANIMAL POISON PREVENTION WEEK and our friends at Petcurean have important tips for protecting your pet and avoiding hazardous materials.
March may be a month for luck and good fortune, but did you know that the iconic shamrock is actually toxic to cats and dogs? You may be surprised by how many common household plants and human foods are poisonous to pets.
While most instances of poison result in mild to moderate symptoms like discomfort, diarrhea or vomiting, some foods and plants can cause major health issues and even death.
WHAT TO AVOID FOR DOGS:
Most pet lovers know that chocolate is dangerous for dogs. Chocolate is harmful because of a toxic agent called theobromine, which can make your pup extremely ill and even lead to death.
A lesser-known fact, grapes can lead to kidney failure in dogs. If you want to give your pup a sweet and healthy treat, opt for blueberries instead.
If you have a dog that spends a lot of time outside, it’s crucial to check your yard for mushrooms. There are many species of mushroom that are toxic to pets, such as the Amanita phalloides or ‘Death Cap’ mushroom, a potent poison at only 3 grams. Since there’s a multitude of other species that can harm your pet, it’s best to keep your lawn clean of any mushrooms just to be safe.
If you suspect your pet has ingested a poisonous mushroom, take them to the vet and bring the mushroom so the clinic can identify what type of toxin or poison they are dealing with.