If you’re looking for a fun craft to make with your kids that also lets you unleash your creative side, you’ll love these easy rock painting ideas.
Drawing and painting are some of the most relaxing activities and not just for kids. Grownups need to de-stress from time to time and you may be surprised by how much you enjoy painting rocks.
You can paint almost anything when you’re using rocks as a canvas and you can even use your finished product as decor in your home or yard. You’ll be surprised how unique and creative these easy rock painting ideas are. From simple crafts for kids to chic decorations for your home, there’s a project in here you will definitely want to try.
The best part is, making your own painted rocks is not complicated at all. Check out our tips for how to paint rocks. And these 20 easy rock painting ideas will spark your imagination and inspire you to get painting. We’ve included ideas for every age including cute rock crafts your kids will be excited to make.
Rock Painting Supplies
Before you starting painting rocks, gather these simple supplies:
- Smooth rocks – Depending where you live, you may be able to find rocks and clean them off before painting. Otherwise, you can buy rocks to paint at a gardening or landscaping store or on Amazon. Crafting rocks are available in natural stone, black stones, or white painting rocks.
- Acrylic craft paint
- Acrylic paint pens
- Acrylic Clear Finish
Rock Painting Steps
Painting rocks is a super simple craft idea, but it still helps to have a set of steps to follow when you’re getting started.
- Gather smooth rocks and other supplies.
Important note: If you’re gathering rocks outdoors, ensure you are picking rocks only from places you allowed. Many parks and other private or public spaces do not allow you to remove rocks.
- Wash and dry rocks.
If you’ve taken rocks from your yard or garden, scrub them clean with warm water and a brush. Air dry the rocks and ensure they are completely dry before you start painting.
- Seal rocks or paint a base coat.
While you can go directly to painting a design a the rock, as we did for our Christmas painted rocks, we usually like to paint a base coat on each rock.
It can work well to paint a coat of white acrylic paint all over the rock and let it dry. Another option is to spray paint a base coat on your rocks.
You can also spray or brush on a clear sealer to prepare the rocks before your paint detailed designs.
- Have fun painting designs on each rock.
Use paint brushes and acrylic paint and/or acrylic paint pens to create various painted rock designs. Be sure to let each layer of paint dry before you add another color or draw a design with a paint pen or fine liner.
- Finish off with a seal.
Once you’re finished painting the rocks, spray a clear finish to seal the paint and protect your beautifully painted rocks.
Now that you know what supplies and steps to take you can get started painting rocks. Browse through the following rock painting ideas to get inspired.
20 Easy Rock Painting Ideas
- Painted Rock Photo Holder Craft For Kids from buggyandbuddy.com
A super fun and colorful craft for kids that results in some very pretty photo holders you can proudly use to display your favorite memories.
- Vintage Camper Painted Rocks For The Garden from attagirlsays.com
These vintage camper painted rocks will definitely†give your garden and planters a little pizzazz!
- Playful Rock Spiders from kidscraftroom.com
Your little ones will be excited to craft these playful rock spiders in anticipation for Halloween. They’re also adorable which is perfect for smaller children.
- Kindness Quotes Rocks Project from shrimpsaladcircus.com
These hand-lettered rocks look stunning and they can be used to decorate pretty much anything from planters to your kitchen, in centerpieces, outside and more!
- Patriotic Painted Rocks from 100directions.comYour next 4th of July party will be even better with these colorful patriotic rocks part of your table decor. You can easily customize the designs for other occasions as well.
- How To Paint Grape Hyacinths On Rocks from sustainmycrafthabit.com
Grape hyacinths look amazing and it turns out painting them on rocks is really easy if you follow this simple tutorial. A simple craft that makes beautiful table decor for spring.
- Kindness Rocks Project With Kids†from blog.consumercrafts.com
Teaching kids about kindness can be an entertaining experience with fun projects like these kindness rocks. Once they’re finished you can let the kids leave them in random places so other people can find them.
- Star Wars Jawa Rocks†from craftsbyamanda.com
Who doesn’t love Star Wars crafts, right? These cute Jawa rocks will unleash your inner geek or at least give the little ones a memorable activity!
- Flower Painted Rocks†from thedecoratedcookie.com
These flower painted rocks are so pretty they are perfect to use as gifts for various occasions such as Mother’s Day, Teacher Appreciation, and birthdays.
- Modern Hand Painted Rocks As Potted Plants Accents from makeanddocrew.com
Geometric-painted rocks can add a modern accent to your potted plants or garden. As an added bonus, those rocks will help keep the soil moist for longer which means you’ll need to water your plants less often.
- Pastel Paisley Painted Rocks from repeatcrafterme.com
Paisleys might seem really difficult to draw but check out this excellent tutorial. Who knew making such a seemingly complex design is actually so easy?
- Painted Rocks Photo Holder from madetobeamomma.comPainting rocks might be fun but you can also use them for various crafts, including these cool photo holders.
- Painted Rock Cactus from craftberrybush.com
Fancy some cactus art in your home? Make this modern cactus painted rocks, or even better let the little ones make them and proudly display them in pots as colorful decor!
- Painted Rock Art from typicallysimple.com
For those sunny days, you’re going to need some entertaining outdoor activities for your kids. Check out this painted rock art craft! It uses only simple designs
- DIY Hand Painted Rock Garden Markers from acultivatednest.com
There are so many ways to make your own plant markers but how about using painted rocks? A frugal project perfect for a relaxing afternoon and also suitable for kids.
- Tic Tac Toe Valentine from themerrythought.com
You can even paint rocks for a practical project such as this tic tac toe game that also makes an excellent Valentine’s Day gift!
- Patterned Rocks Snake Craft from iheartcraftythings.com
Doesn’t this snake look awesome? The wee ones will be so excited to make it and then play with it. This activity will definitely be a†smash!
- Bejeweled Garden Rocks from designimprovised.com
I’m sure any little girl would love to bejewel pretty much any item so these bejewelled painted rocks are one of those fun activities that let them do that. They also make for some boho chic garden decor, don’t you think?
- Cute Rock Fish Craft from hellowonderful.co
If†you’ve been searching for sea and ocean-themed activities for your kids, these adorable fish painted rocks would†make a great choice.
- Golden Nugget Photo Holder from acharmingproject.comWho could have imagined a bit of gold spray paint and some rocks would make such a glam-looking photo holder? A simple but brilliant project for modern home decor.
One Of Our Favorite Easy Rock Painting Ideas
One of our kids favorite easy rock painting ideas is making pet rocks.
More Painting Ideas
Airbrush Shirts – This is a fun and easy way to paint a shirt.
Painted Birdhouses – Painting birdhouses with kids is a wonderful way to let them express their creativity. There is no wrong way to paint a birdhouse!