Motherhood is hard. And it seems to me, motherhood continues to get harder and harder for modern moms. We all are too busy and trying to do too much. So how can we prioritize self-care?
I’ll be honest. I struggle continually with prioritizing my own self-care. I’m a single, work-at-home mom who supports her family through blogging. That means, I’m too busy and my budget is too tight.
But thanks to the folks at HP, today I enjoyed a special treat which has inspired me to share some ideas for how we moms in this modern parenting world can try to take better care of ourselves.
Earlier this month, I shared my 5 favorite ways to treat yourself without spending money.
I regularly depend on those 5 strategies to maintain my sanity.
And now I want to share some more self-care inspiration…
- Find A Way To Get To The SpaA spa visit may seem like a luxury too extravagant for you to splurge on yourself when you have more important bills to pay. And I can relate.
These days I rarely have extra money to use at the spa.
But, if you have a friend or family member who is looking for a gift idea for you, I’d suggest heavily hinting how much you’d LOVE a spa visit. Or set aside a few dollars each month and then look for a good deal on sites such as groupon.com and livingsocial.com — on both of those sites, you can also get 6% cashback by using ebates.
Another way a loved one can gift you a spa trip is through WaySpa.com, which is how the folks at HP treated me.
Personally, my favorite spa services are pedicures, massages and facials.
- Use Apps To Stay Organized On-The-GoI’m not a naturally organized person. I’m quite the opposite actually. I have ADHD and I’ve always struggled to maintain a schedule or daily calendar. So I use a simple site called teuxdeux.com which I can also use as an app on my phone or tablet.
By keeping an easy to manage to-do list on my phone, I don’t waste as much time and mental energy remembering everything I have to do.
- Be Mobile and Flexible with Your TimeAs a working mom, much of our time can easily be lost in the little breaks throughout the day. Jessica Turner talks about these gold nuggets of time in her book, The Fringe Hours.
I like to take a small laptop with me when I take my daughter to cheerleading. I drop her off and then sneak in an hour of work at a nearby coffee shop. This HP Pavilion x360 is a convertible notebook PC that actually transforms from notebook to tablet or to a tent and stand. I love how it is a fully functional laptop but still super light and easy to toss in my bag.
- Save Time and Money With Free PrintablesThere are so many ways you save money by using your printer to DIY everything from gift cards to coloring books for your kids.
We have a Printables Pinterest Board full of ideas.
And of course, you can print your own photos whenever you or your kids want to scrapbook memories.
- Lower Your Grocery Bill and Cooking Time with Menu PlansSo many of my blogging friends do an amazing job with menu planning. One of these days, I am going to finally start menu planning!
I use Pinterest to gather Easy Dinner Recipes that are perfect for adding into your meal plan.
Laura from OrgJunkie.com runs a weekly round up called Menu Plan Monday where you can find lots of inspiration.
Taking care of ourselves is so important for us as mothers. Even though we may put our kids needs first, we still need to make sure we invest enough time in our self-care.
It’s not easy… but neither are most things about being a modern mom.
Pin for Later
Disclosure: HP products mentioned in this post were supplied by HP Canada.
Written by Susan Carraretto, co-founder of 5 Minutes for Mom
Talk with me: @5minutesformom and Facebook.com/5minutesformom
Pin with me at http://pinterest.com/5minutesformom/