This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Hello “5 Minutes for Mom” friends… it’s Tami here from Sincerely Jean. We all have someone in our lives who has been a mother figure to us. On Mother’s Day, let’s celebrate the great influence that they have been in our lives. Which mother figure are you grateful for in your life? Your mother, grandmother, aunt, big sister? Either way, they are going to love this beautiful string art homemade card!
My sisters and I are celebrating our mother, Cathy and our two grandmothers, Shirley and Toni. They have always been there for us to lift us up, teach us, encourage us, and help mold us into the women that we are today. Shari and Patti are also celebrating being mothers to their small children. We know it is going to be a great day 🙂
This is a very simple project. Anyone that can maneuver a needle and thread can make this cute gift. It took about 20 minutes and it was super easy.
Here are the supplies that you will need:
- 6 yards of string
- Push pins, we used 44 pins
- Printout of a heart (or any other shape/letter)
Here are the steps to make the cardstock string art:
- Print out an outline of a heart on regular paper. We just googled “heart” and used this image of a heart. The heart needs to be about half the size of a vertical piece of paper, so about 3″x 4.5″
- Line up the heart printout and the cardstock (vertical), the two papers should be the size size.
- Insert the push pins along the outline of the heart. Make sure that you evenly space out the push pins. Also make sure that there are the same amount of push pins on the left side and the right side. We used 44 push pins and we spaced them out evenly. We had 21 push pins on the left side, 21 push pins on the right side, 1 push pin in the center top, and 1 push pin in the center bottom.
- Remove the push pins and the heart printout.
- Thread your needle.
- From back to front, push your needle through the center top hole. Thread all of the string through the hole until there is only a small amount of string left in the back of the cardstock.
- Tie a knot in the string in the back of the cardstock.
- From front to back, push your needle through the center bottom hole. Thread all of the string through the hole.
- From back to front, push your needle through the hole just left of the center top hole. Thread all of the string through the hole.
- From front to back, push your needle through the hole just right of the center bottom hole. Thread all of the string through the hole.
- Continue the same pattern from steps 8 & 9, until your heart is complete.
- After you are done with all of the holes, tie a knot in the string in the back of the cardstock. Cut off any leftover string.
- Fold the cardstock in half, vertical-wise.
- Write your note inside the card.
We hope that you have an amazing Mother’s Day and that we can all celebrate admirable women. Also, we think that you would love making our Peanut Butter Brownie Truffles for Mother’s Day.
And don’t miss this fun “All About My Mom” Questionnaire free printable for Mother’s Day and these 20 Mother’s Day Gifts Kids Can Make.
Share With Your Friends
We’d love, love, love a tweet or a pin… Thanks so much! 🙂
[Tweet “String Art Mother’s Day Card – A simple and sweet Mother’s Day craft…”]
Written by 5 Minutes for Mom contributors, Shari Jean, Tami Jean, & Patti Jean. We are three sisters who share helpful DIY projects, recipes and style tips on our blog SincerelyJean.com to help women make time for themselves and for their “sistas”.
Mother’s Day Gift Guide and Giveaway
Be sure to check out our collection of the best gifts for mom.
Leave a Comment