This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Do you need some new ideas for Mother’s Day this year? This is Janice, co-founder of 5 Minutes for Mom, here with a few twists for Mother’s Day gifts and activities…
Thursday afternoon, a producer from our local CBC Early News, called and asked if we could come in to do a segment on Mother’s Day ideas.
We had just a couple hours to write up some ideas, shower and drive into downtown Vancouver – more than an hour commute from where we live.
We decided I would do the interview, but Susan came with me so we could use the HOV lane and I could do my makeup while she drove.
We made it to the studio just in time and Susan snapped some shots for Instagram on her iPhone. Thanks for having us @CBCVancouver.
If you or your family need some last minute Mother’s Day ideas for gifts and activities, here are some of the ideas I shared on the CBC Early News.
3 Gifts to Give on Mother’s Day
1. While all moms love spa gift certificates, a last minute and more affordable option is to make up a gift bag of pampering items for her to relax at home… include essential oils, bath soaps, lotions, etc. Then the kids can prepare the bathroom for her with a hot bath and a few of her favorite magazines. Not only does mom get stocked up with home spa items, but she also has the added gift of some relaxing quiet time during her special day.
2. It is generally a pretty safe rule to stay away from appliances as gifts for Mom. No one wants to think about the housework they have to do. Instead you can purchase a gift certificate for a housecleaning service to come in and give the house a good spring cleaning. If you don’t have time to pick up the certificate ahead of time, have the kids draw up a homemade version to announce the upcoming treat.
3. Moms love homemade gifts from their kids. We treasure all of those hand crafted creations. But to make an extra special handmade gift for mom, Dad, (or another adult,) can take the kids to a craft store to pick up supplies to make a beautiful bracelet from wire and beads. Even Walmart has a great craft section, so last minute crafters still have time to get designing.
3 Things to Do on Mother’s Day
1. Get outside! Be a tourist in your own city. You don’t need a reservation to get some fresh air. Go for a hike, head to the beach, or grab your bikes and head to a park to relax together as a family. And remember to snap a few photos to remember the day – Moms love photos but often aren’t in the shot.
2. Get your hands dirty together and do a little gardening. Even if you don’t have a big yard, you can plant a few fruits and vegetables to grow in pots on your porch or balcony.
3. If its raining, or you are all tuckered out from your morning bike ride, curl up together on the couch and spend time watching old family videos and looking at photo albums. Looking at old photos is one of those super fun activities that we just don’t get around to doing often enough.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Whatever you do or give to Mom this Mother’s Day, we hope you have a peaceful weekend, with lots of love and gratitude.
And remember, give Mom TIME to relax. Let her read a book, have a nap or take a long bath. Moms can always use extra time to recharge.
Share With Your Friends
We’d love, love, love a tweet or pin…
[Tweet “Need a few last minute ideas for #MothersDay? Janice can help you out…”]
Written by Janice Croze, co-founder of 5 Minutes for Mom
Talk with me: @5minutesformom and Facebook.com/5minutesformom
Pin with me at pinterest.com/5minutesformom
Leave a Comment