Fighting childhood obesity is not easy. From child-advocates who petition to have school lunch menus changed and junk food vending machines removed from schools, to parents trying to convince their kids to choose carrot sticks over french fries, changing lifestyle habits in America is complicated and challenging.
Yes, it is a difficult task — but I think most of us can agree that shaming overweight children and their parents with cruel billboards plastered all over the state of Georgia is not helping the situation.
It is good that the government of Georgia is concerned about reducing obesity and improving the health of children. But, fighting childhood obesity is a touchy topic and needs to be dealt with carefully and wisely.
It makes me wonder, if this campaign is from the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, what do the child psychiatrists and therapists think of this approach? Did they support — or even help create it?!?
edited: The original video embedded in this post was from a different PSA campaign, not Strong4Life. My apologies for the confusion.
The campaign creators may think they are just getting tough on obesity in Georgia, telling Georgia to, “Stop sugarcoating it.” But, the vicious cycle of shame and food addiction is just worsened by such attacks.
To the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and the government of Georgia, I have to say, “Find a better way. Cause that approach isn’t going to work for you.”
So, 5 Minutes for Mom, is joining up with Leah Segedie and her Mamavation community and hundreds of bloggers and blogging communities to fight back against this shame campaign.
You can join us tonight on Twitter to voice your concern about these ads and help support positive change toward healthy living.
#ASHAMED Twitter Chat
“We believe it’s wrong to fight obesity by fighting obese people… especially children. Children are defenseless and cannot fight back on their own. Obese people are not the problem, obesity IS. Campaigns that have a focus on hope, support, and education are far more beneficial to children. Most overweight children already suffer from self esteem issues, which are going to be considerably exasperated by these ads.”
Event: Friday, January 27th from 9-10pm EST
Purpose: To protest the Strong4Life Ads in the State of Georgia and chat about obesity and ways to solve the problem
Here are some of the main mom blogging communities that have come out against these ads and will be at the chat:
1. Mamavation with Leah Segedie @Bookieboo
2. Resourceful Mommy Media with Amy Lupold Bair @Resourcefulmom
3. Type A Mom with Kelby Carr @Typeamom
4. 5 Minutes for Mom Community with Janice Croze @5minutesformom
5. Anissa Mayhew with Slightly Bent Productions @AnissaMayhew
6. Christine Young with Dates for Diapers @youngmommy
7. Cecily Kellogg with UpperCase Woman @Cecilyk
8. DietsnReview @Dietsinreview
9. Sue O Lear as @Mrsfatass
10. Amy Bellgardt with Mom Spark Media @Momspark
11. Stacie Haight Connerty with Divine Miss Mommy @Stacieinatlanta
12. Lisa Morris Frame with A Daily Pinch @Daily_Pinch
13. Social Media Moms with Kadi Prescott @kadiprescott
14. Bloggy Moms with Tiffany Noth @bloggymoms
15. InspiredRD with Alysa Bajenaru, RD @InspiredRD
16. DrMommyOnline with Dr. Daisy Sutherland @DrMommy
17. Sugar in the Raw with Sugar Jones @SugarJones
18. Queen of Spain with Erin Kotecki Vest @QueenofSpain
19. Fitfluential with Kelly Olexa @KellyOlexa
20. Jessica Northley @JessicaNorthley
21. Loralee with Looneytunes @Looneytunes
22. Green & Clean Mom with Sommer Poquette @Greenmom
23. Runhers @Runhers Community
24. EXPERT: Dr. Jen @Playthisway
25. Fitbottomedgirls community @Fitbottomedgirls
26. Jenny on the Spot with Jenny Ingram @Jennyonthespot
27. Greeblemonkey with Aimee Giese @Greeblemonkey
28. Fun and Fit.org with Alexandra Williams @Alexandrafunfit
29. Skimbaco Lifestyle with Katja Presnal @Katjapresnal
30. Pure Natural Diva with Tania @Purenaturaldiva
31. MommyPR with Angela @MommyPR
(More to come…)
There will also be giveaways during the chat, generously donated by members of the participating blogging communities:
FIVE (5) winners will each receive a $50 Visa Gift Card.
ONE (1) winner will receive a $50 AmEx Gift Card.
ONE (1) winner will receive a Full Conference Pass to the Type-A Parent Conference in Charlotte, North Carolina plus the book Mom Blog SEO
THREE (3) winners will each receive My Trainer Fitness for At Work
Join us by tweeting this message:
TONITE moms R joining together in opposition 2 @Strong_4_Life & their irresponsible ads towards kids, http://bit.ly/zA5FCk #Ashamed
Shaming the “Fat” kid is NOT the way to solve the Obesity Epidemic, bit.ly/zFKYOM #Ashamed
TONIGHT: Stop the Shaming of Overweight Children in Georgia. Join us at 9pm EST to chat about #Ashamed, http://bit.ly/zASFCk
AND — If you would like to join us in opposing these ads and asking the Strong 4 Life Campaign to cease harming children with them, sign the linky at Mamavation with your twitter name OR blog.
You can ALSO give your opinion on the ad campaign at the Obesity Action Coalition website.
Written by Janice Croze, co-founder of 5 Minutes for Mom.
If you want to help spread the word, we would love it if you tweeted or FB’d this post. Thanks so much! We really appreciate your support of 5 Minutes for Mom.