TodaysMama and Sittercity.com announced that as part of the MamaVote initiative, they will offer free and discounted babysitting on Election Day, November 4, 2008. From October 27 to November 3, all individuals who sign up for a membership at Sittercity.com with the promotional code “MamaVote08” will receive 50 percent off a Sittercity.com membership. In addition, the first 50 individuals to register as new members on Sittercity.com will receive free babysitting for two hours! Parents can go to www.sittercity.com and register using the discount code “MamaVote08”.
mymommysbracelets.com is holding a huge giveaway featuring many great products for the whole family. Stop by to see what you can win and sign-up to receive their newsletters for great savings. Deadline to enter is Oct. 31st.
This is the last week to enter to win a Baby Shower Prize Package valued at over $2,600. Prizes from 60 sponsors including a Joovy stroller of the winner’s choice from their entire line. Visit What’s That Smell? to enter to win the Virtual Baby Shower Grand Prize.
November is is Prematurity Awareness month, and Baby Tea Leaves is holding a “Virtual Baby Shower” to try to round up “baby shower” items for families who have premature babies in the NICU. It’s headed by the March of Dimes and they can use anything from unused bottles and toys and diapers, to clothes and blankets and journals, keepsakes, anything really. The items will be delivered to the NICUs between November 12-24 so the earlier you participate the better. Donate and help a baby in need.
Monkey-Toes is having their 2nd annual Halloween Costume Contest. To enter, just submit a photo of your child wearing their Halloween Costume and Monkey-Toes sometime between Nov 3rd – Nov 10th to firstname.lastname@example.org. Every entry will receive $5 to Monkey-Toes with a grand prize winner taking home $100 to Monkey-Toes.
CONTESTS & SWEEPSTAKES
The Baby Formula is calling for how-to videos related to parenting and babies, ages pregnancy/newborn to three years for the chance to win all or part of $1500! Videos can cover any topic from baby showers to tantrums, as long as they are in an instructional format and pertain to tots 0-3. The $1000 Grand Prize and $500 People’s Choice Award will be announced on Dec. 2nd, in time to spend the cash on holiday shopping. The contest is also benefiting Any Baby Can, a great non-profit that supports the youngest, sickest, and poorest children and their families. For more information and to register, you can visit www.mindbites.com/the-baby-formula.
Americans vote Brownies as the country’s favorite dessert! To celebrate Brownies’ victory, the makers of Pillsbury baking products want to hear how people make things sweeter with their favorite desserts at www.pillsburybaking.com/campaign. The sweetest entry will receive a kitchen makeover worth $5,000, and Pillsbury will also make a donation to Feeding America to help end hunger in this country.
Coolil.com, a Web site dedicated to bringing unique Israeli-designed products to consumers worldwide, invites you to submit your special diaper bag packing tip at http://www.coolil.com/contest.php for a chance to win a free diaper bag. Share the tip that makes your life the easiest when traveling with little ones, and the best suggestion will win a Heidi Mommy Bag, a stylish diaper bag that is adjustable to wear as a shoulder bag, purse or attaches to a stroller. The Heidi Mommy Bag has a compartment for everything a mother (or father) could need in any situation, all without sacrificing style. Be sure to submit your tip by November 15th to be in the running to win!
Think no one can plan a holiday party like you can? The Crest Whitestrips “Hostess for the Holidays” contest is a battle of the hostesses and three finalists will win a trip to New York City to compete for a grand prize of $2000. The final competition, taking place at a public NYC venue in front of judges, will challenge contestants to get ready for the holidays through events like speed gift wrapping and table setting races. Participants can enter from now until November 19 at www.HostessfortheHolidays.com and submit a photo with a short essay detailing why they’re America’s top host or hostess.
dekoposh is holding a Cute Child “Build a Purse” Contest where you can enter a photo of your child in their Halloween costume for a chance to win A “Build a Purse” Party with 10 “Build a Purse” Kits. You must submit pictures between October 23, 2008-November 23, 2008. The winner will be announced on December 1, 2008. Email your picture to email@example.com with a subject line of Cute Child “Build a Purse” Contest along with your child’s name, birthdate, and location.
- Just Another Mommy Blog – 4 tickets to a Chicago performance of Ringling Brothers circus (Oct 29th)
- Just a mom’s take on things -$20 gift certificate to Simple Salutations (Oct 30th/US)
- Sassy Frazz – eBooks for craft and sewing projects (Oct 30th/Any)
- Chefdruck Musings – Sony Cybershot Digital Camera (Nov 1st)
- Froggy Reviews – $20 to Simple Salutations (Nov 3rd/US)
- Red Sox Mommy – $75 Apple gift card (Nov 4th/US)
Just for Women
- Family Review Network – Glow Mama Energy Drink (Oct 26th/US)
- An Island Review – Hope Bracelet from Twisted Silver (Oct 28th/US)
- All Because Two People Fell in Love – Two Week Supply of GLOW MAMA (Oct 29th)
- Just a mom’s take on things -“Hope, Faith, Love” Triple Wish Hoop Necklace (Oct 29th/US)
- The Gift Closet – Goat’s Milk Firming Night Cream with Argireline and Hyaluronic Acid & Goat’s Milk Eye Treament Cream with Eyeliss (Oct 29th/US)
- A Wrestling Addicted Mommy – Your choice of dress from IGIGI Plus Size Clothing (Oct 31st/Any)
- Nurse Mommy – Kathy Hiltons “My Secret” (Nov 1st/Any)
Just for Kids
- An Island Review – Naked Brothers Band Season 2 (Oct 26th/Any)
- Livin’ With Me – $50 gift certificate to Bija Baby (Oct 27th)
- DeliciousBaby.com – Lands End Complete Winter Outfit for Kids (Oct 27th/US)
- Did You See That? – Sugar and Spice: Fashion Girls doll set OR the My First Amazing Game Board Book from Little Jet Set (Oct 27th/US)
- Momma In Flip Flops2 – See Kai Run Shoes in the Smaller (Oct 27th/US)
- Momma In Flip Flops2 – OliveKids, placemat, bookmark and nametag (personalized) (Oct 27th/US, Can)
- Simple – Winners Choice of Sassafras Kids Baking Set (Oct 29th)
- Muse Reviews – Chalkydoodles apron from Chalkydoodles’ Etsy shoppe (Oct 29th/US)
- An Island Review – Groovy Ruby Rocks CD (Oct 29th/Any)
- Sassy Frazz – Sensible Sippers, t-shirt, or coupons (Oct 30th/US)
- A Frog In My Soup – Yoplait Kids Prize Pack including Yogurt, My First Brain Quest & a travel cooler (Oct 30th/US)
- Muse Reviews – Myself Belt from Myself Belts (Oct 31st/US)
- An Island Review – The Flight Before Christmas (Oct 31st/Any)
- Chefdruck Reviews – My Baby Nintendo DS game (Nov 1st)
- Simple – Childs Personalized Stamp (Nov 1st)
- Nurse Mommy – Personalized Childrens book from Kustom Memories (Nov 2nd/US)
- An Island Review – Kiddo Kards (Nov 2nd/Any)
- Tara’s View of the World – A personalized CD from My Tunez (Nov 3rd/Any)
Mommy’s Idea – 2 Original Dapper Snappers (Nov 6th/US)
- Sassy Frazz – Fancy Nancy Posh Bedroom Game (Nov 6th/Cont US)
- Chefdruck Musings – Cooler, Set of BrainQuest cards, coupon for free yoplait kids yogurt (Nov 8th)
- Red Sox Mommy – Leg Warmers from babySNAZZ (Nov 3rd/US)
Mommy’s Idea – Yeni Bath Apron (Nov 3rd/US)
- Northwest Mom Finds – Baby Signing Time Vol 1-2 DVD Gift Set (Nov 4th/US, Can)
- Busy Mommy – Evenflo Symphony All-In-One Carseat (Nov 7th/US)
- Northwest Mom Finds – When I Grow Up bib from Cutie Fruity (Nov 7th/US, Can)
Home & Garden
- Momma In Flip Flops2 – The Hip Hostess, an apron of choice (Oct 29th/US)
- Notes of Jubilee – CupCooleys (Oct 31st/US)
- Momma In Flip Flops2 – Fabkins, packet of cloth napkins for kids (Oct 31st/US)
- An Island Review – Swiffer Dust & Shine (Nov 1st/US)
- An Island Life – BusyBodyBook (Nov 2nd/Any)
- Laney Pottery – Four Pottery Apple Bakers (Nov 2nd/US)
- Nothing But Purple – Sticky Labels from Mabel’s Labels (Nov 2nd)
- A Wrestling Addicted Mommy – Verilux CleanWave Sanitizing Wand (Nov 3rd/US)
- Contest Bytes – Three 8-pack packages of Knudsen Organic Sensible Sippers (Nov 7th/US)
- Chefdruck Reviews – Pillsbury Savoring the Moment gift bag (Nov 8th)
- The Secret is in the Sauce – Bissell Home Healthy Vacuum (Nov 30th)
Books for Grown-Ups
- Tara’s View on Books – Arsenic for Lovers by Georgia Post (Oct 27th/Any)
- A Frog In My Soup – An autographed copy of the book – It’s Twins! by Susan Heim (Oct 27th/US)
- Short Stop – The Jesus Storybook Bible (Oct 30th)
- An Island Life – The Rules of Parenting (Nov 1st/US)
- Tara’s View on Books – The Paper Bag Christmas by Kevin Alan Milne (Nov 1st/Any)
The National Confectioners Association (NCA) has just launched their own blog just in time for Halloween – Candy Dish Blog. Here you’ll find “all manner of information about candy, including recipes, new products, crafts and tips for parties and family fun.” In addition, this year NCA is highlighting some “better-for-you” options and more sugar-free organic candies. Check it out!
Camp Kesem, a camp for children ages 6-13 who have or have had a parent with cancer, has expanded its program from a single campus hosting 37 campers to a national organization of 20 camps serving more than 850 children across the country. The non-profit recently wrapped up a record-breaking summer of camp sessions, and plans are already underway to add three new camp locations in 2009. Camp Kesem is a free, week-long, overnight camp for children whose families are coping with cancer. It provides children with a stress-free, fun week of summer camp and gives families the opportunity to meet others experiencing similar situations.
At ParentsConnect, we gathered all sorts of information and came up with a set of deals, ideas and programs to help you weather the financial storm (or at least, offer an umbrella). We have recently created a Recession Buster Boot Camp where you can get your household finances in order with Kim Danger, creator of mommysavers.com. Each week, from October 15 to November 26, Kim will answer financial questions and provide with practical ways to save cash at home. Members can share their concerns with the rest of the ParentsConnect community, as well as get helpful tips.
October’s Domestic Violence Awareness Month is coming to a close this week, but there’s still time for all of us to do something for this cause – especially since 1 out 4 women have directly experienced domestic violence. Readers can visit ClickToEmpower.org and for each person who “clicks” per day, The Allstate Foundation will donate one dollar to the Education and Job Training Assistance Fund for survivors of domestic violence. We are only 25,000 clicks away from reaching our goal of 300,000!
There’s a new social networking site called Plurk which just announced “Plurk the Vote,” offering new ways for those passionate about the political process to ensure their voices are heard. Through Plurk the Vote, users cast a vote for their preferred presidential ticket, leading to an overall “leader” among the choices in this year’s campaign. Plurk users can also engage in discussion about each candidate’s platform and current events as they occur. These discussions are tracked and analyzed, resulting in an overall favorability rating for each candidate. Plurk the Vote offers a unique and interesting perspective of how the candidates and their platforms are resonating with the increasingly more vocal social networking generation.
If you would like to have a post on your blog featured in 5 Minutes Around The Blogosphere, please send us an email with the actual link to your post at features5minutesformom at gmail dot com and we’ll see if it can be arranged.