This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Janice here with some more breakfast time fun — this time I created Pumpkin Pancake Hearts. These unique little pancakes are light and delicate, and perfect for dipping in your favorite syrup. Thanks to Wholesome Sweeteners for sponsoring this post — and providing their scrumptious Organic Pancake Syrup for this sweet breakfast recipe.
A couple weeks ago, I shared with you a recipe I made called Lollipop Pancakes. I had so much fun making those sweet treats, I have created another pancake twist — Pumpkin Pancake Hearts.
I love to add pumpkin to recipes — it adds texture, moisture, and vitamins! Since I made these pancakes gluten free, the pumpkin is especially nice to add a bit more flavor and fluff to the pancakes.
These “pancakes” shapes are actually easy to make and they are perfect for dipping. I used Organic Pancake Syrup by Wholesome Sweeteners for mine and it is delicious.
Wholesome Sweeteners is committed to providing their customers with Fairtrade Certified, Organic, Natural and Non-GMO Project Verified sweeteners sourced from ethically and environmentally responsible growers and manufacturers. They do not have any high fructose corn syrup in their products and they offer an incredible variety of sweeteners. I am super excited to have found them.
How to Make Pancake Hearts
To make the pancake hearts, I put my pancake batter into a squeeze bottle, (you can buy plastic squeeze bottles designed for cooking or simply use a mustard or ketchup squeeze bottle,) and drew the shapes onto my well buttered frying pan.
After flipping and finishing cooking my darling little pancake shapes, I arranged them on a platter and dusted with icing sugar and cinnamon and served with a side of Organic Pancake Syrup.
Pumpkin Pancake Hearts Recipe
You can make these pumpkin pancake shapes either gluten free or with regular flour. I have provided both options in the recipe below. If you or your child require gluten free, make sure that your baking powder is also gluten free.
Pumpkin Pancake Hearts -- Dipping Sweetness
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend - or unbleached all purpose wheat flour
- 1 cup milk - or milk replacement
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp melted and cooled butter or oil of your choice
- 1 Tbsp organic syrup or sugar
- 1/2 tsp vinegar unless you use buttermilk for your milk
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ xanthan gum if using gluten free flour
- icing sugar for dusting
- cinnamon for dusting
- organic syrup for dipping
- Pre-heat and generously grease griddle or frying pan with butter or your oil of choice
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl and whisk together
- In separate bowl, mix egg and wet ingredients
- Add wet ingredients to dry and gently stir until just combined - do not over mix
- If batter is too thick, add more milk to create a thinner batter
- Add batter to a squeeze bottle and draw shapes onto medium heat griddle
- When batter bubbles and crisps around edges, flip pancake shapes
- Cook until golden and firm, keeping cooked pancakes warm on an oven-safe plate in a warm oven until all pancake shapes are ready to serve
- Just before serving, arrange pancake shapes on a platter or individual plates
- Dust with icing sugar and cinnamon and serve with a bowl of organic pancake syrup for dipping
Written and photographed by Janice Croze, co-founder of 5 Minutes for Mom.
Please Note: I received product from Wholesome Sweeteners to review and test out in my kitchen, along with compensation for my time to create and publish these original recipes. All opinions are entirely my own.
Leave a Comment