This yummy guest post was submitted by Tiffany Dahle.
Families filled with picky eaters are nothing new. It is a common struggle many moms face. The challenge to get more veggies into my own family is an ever-present concern.
I try and I try but some days I just want to enjoy something loaded with veggie goodness all by myself. When you just can’t face another cold turkey sandwich, it’s ok to put yourself first and make a special treat for lunch!
This fresh and bright summer salad is perfect. It takes just a little more time to pull together than a sandwich but is totally worth it.
Lemony Orzo, Roasted Tomato & Arugula Salad
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- juice of lemon
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta (6 ounces)
- large bunch of fresh arugula
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Set a small pot of water to boil.
- Toss together a drizzle of olive oil, tomatoes, and a sprinkle of salt & pepper on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Boil the orzo until al dente. (5-8 minutes, depending on your package directions.)
- Toss the arugula, feta, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a large serving bowl.
- Drain orzo, rinse briefly with cold water to halt the cooking.
- Remove tomatoes from oven when they have burst and are beginning to char. (About 10 minutes.)
- Toss the salad with the slightly cooled tomatoes and orzo. Serve.
Tiffany Dahle is the editor and hostess of Peanut Blossom where she encourages moms to explore their own creative interests as the first step towards building strong families. She shares her adventures and experiments in photography, food, and travel in order to illustrate how to develop everyday possibilities.