By Estelle Sobel Erasmus of Musings on Motherhood and Midlife
Looking to make an impact on the lives of moms, everywhere? Feel you’re a mother but so much more? Are you dealing with the never ending struggle to balance your family budget and find some money (and time) just for yourself, and are aching to write about it?
Than find the power in your pen and participate in the Power of a Purse campaign from Mothers & More.
The national non-profit organization Mother
s & More (which provides support, education and advocacy for mothers) has been dedicated to helping financially disadvantaged mothers through its Power of a Purse campaign (now in its fifth year), where members donate purses and personal items to shelters and other non-profit organizations, as well as educational resources to help them increase their financial awareness, confidence and control. A purse symbolizes a woman’s economic power, and many families rely on a mother’s income.
For the month of April, Mothers & More is running a writing contest in celebration of Power of a Purse that is open to members and non-members. Simply write in 300 words or less, how the mission of Power of a Purse resonates for you on a “purse-onal” level. Email your entry (full name, address, phone number and if you belong to a chapter, chapter number) to [email protected]
mothersandmore.org by April 30 and Mothers & More will publish the top five stories on their blog, Mothers’ Voices. Prizes (full list here) will also include publication on Brain, Child magazine’s website, a beautiful bag from Layla Grayce and a consultation with a writing/publishing coach.
Other fabulous judges include:
- Patty Chang Anker, author of the upcoming book Some Nerve: Lessons Learned While Becoming Brave, to be published by Riverhead Books (Penguin) in the fall, who blogs at Facing Forty Upside Down
- Jessica Rubin Cohen of the social good blog, Found the Marbles
- Ciaran Blumenfeld of Momfluential
- Lori Botterman, Senior Editor for Tribune Media Group, who blogs at Who Has More Fun Than People?
Join the Twitter Party
To launch the Power of a Purse campaign, Mothers & More and Culture Mom Media will be hosting a twitter party on Thursday, April 11th at 9:00 pm EDT, and will provide attendees with tips to confidently manage their money matters as busy moms. Sign up here to join, and follow the hashtag #PowerOfAPurse. Great gifts will be given out every 10 minutes, including memberships, books, a bag from Layla Grayce, tickets to Listen to Your Mother, a virtual work-out session and more
To join Mothers & More and benefit from all its offerings fill out this form. All through April Mothers & More is running a new member special with $5 off a one-year membership, if you put in the special code savvy4mom.
Benefits of joining Mothers & More include
- Becoming part of a network of national chapters and online networking forums by and for mothers encompassing non-judgmental communication and peer support
- Webinars that give members exposure to authors, women in business, and financial and workplace tools and tactics, that support the organization’s mission
- Belonging to an organization that advocates for public policies that value the work of caregiving
Looking forward to getting fiscal with you this month.