Like many of you, I’ve made a resolution to eat healthier. For the most part, I eat pretty healthy but I need to incorporate more vegetables into my diet and ultimately into my family’s meals. Honestly, I feel like my family could use a bit more greens in their diet.
Since lots of vegetables have been on sale at my local supermarket , it has been easy and a lot less costly to be healthier. This week, asparagus was on special so I decided to search for an easy, tasty dish that would please the picky, non-veggie eaters in my house.
Of course, Skinnytaste came to my rescue. Not only did she offer a simple asparagus recipe, but it included an ingredient that no one in my house could refuse: pasta.
Like many of Skinnytaste’s dishes that I’ve tried, her Pasta with Asparagus was a hit. I love when a healthy plate plan comes together.
Pasta with Asparagus
- 1 lb thin asparagus (cut into 2" pieces (tough ends trimmed))
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (plus some for topping)
- Using a double-boiler steamer, steam asparagus for about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain asparagus and reserve 1 cup liquid.
- Cook penne according to package directions for al dente.
- While the pasta boils, heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and cook until golden brown. Add asparagus, a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Gently mix the asparagus until well coated with oil and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine egg yolk, parmesan cheese, reserved asparagus liquid, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Whisk well.
- Once the pasta cooked to al dente and drained, return the penne back into pot with egg mixture. On a medium-low heat, continuously stir pasta until sauce thickens and sticks to pasta. Toss in asparagus and mix well.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese.