Lemon pepper chicken is one of our family’s favorite meals. It’s super easy and goes great with our favorite side dish, loaded mashed potatoes.
When I was first married I made this a bit differently than I do now and it was a lot dryer and you needed a sauce or dip. My husband is very handy in the kitchen, especially when it comes to cooking meat. He taught me this trick and this is now how I cook Lemon Pepper Chicken all the time.
The trick to keeping the chicken from getting dry is baking the chicken in cooking oil. I used to throw the chicken in the pan, drop a few spoonfuls of butter on the top of the chicken, sprinkle with seasoning and then bake. The chicken was so dry. Cooking the chicken in the oil ensures that the chicken stays nice and moist.
I make 3 lbs at a time. This gives our family of 4 two full dinners or one dinner and a couple of lunches. Side note- the measurements for the mashed potatoes are approximate. When I fix mashed potatoes I just throw it all together so use your judgement based on what you and your family prefers.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cooking oil of your choice
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- 3 lbs potatoes
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Lemon Pepper Chicken - First you need a mixing bowl large enough to fit the chicken with some room to spare. Pour about 2 inches of oil into the bowl. Sprinkle in the lemon pepper seasoning, give it a good stir.
- Then add in all the chicken and toss it around (carefully!) until all the chicken it nicely coated with oil and seasoning.
- Next place the chicken in a 13x9 baking dish. I pour a little bit of the oil from the bowl into the baking pan too. Then top the chicken with another dusting of the seasoning. You don't want the oil to completely cover the tops of the chicken.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350.
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes - Boil or steam your potatoes and mash them up a bit.
- Next add about ¼ -1/3 cup milk and 8 tbsp butter/margarine, mash the potatoes well.
- Add ⅓ cup sour cream and ½ - 1 cup shredded cheese. Mix well.