Last Friday, after a busier-than-usual few days of trying to recover from a long trip to Disney World, I had to turn my attention to getting my house ready for weekend guests. The scene on Friday was less than ideal:
- the kids had trashed the house while I was gone
- my suitcase was still packed in my room
- I didn’t have any plans for meals while they were here
- I was in the middle of massive amounts of laundry
I realized as I rushed around trying to get things ready for my house guests that I was going to need to minimize and focus on the most important tasks. I guess that I was lucky – some house guests show up with NO warning. At least I did have some time, even if it was limited, to prepare.
I even had time to ask for opinions from my Better in Bulk Facebook fans and on twitter about what tasks to tackle first when getting ready for guests. With their help, I put these tips together:
How to prepare for house guests with minimal time
- If you want to make a good first impression, tidy up the front room (unlike my husband who decided to clear out some empty boxes and stack them in the front room)
- Clean the bathrooms (an especially important step if you are the mother of boys)
- Get the guest sleeping area ready (we don’t have an extra room, so I need to make sure that the basement floor is clear)
- Clean sheets and pillow cases (I always have to steal a few pillows out of the kids’ rooms, so a fresh pillow case is a must)
- It’s ok to hide some messes behind closed doors (just remember to close the doors…)
- Make a quick trip to the grocery store and stock up on cereals and milk and anything else that the crowd will want to eat. Plan a few meals (even if you end up going out to dinner like we did, it’s still a big help to have some food ready)
And the most important tip of all: remember that your house guests are here to visit YOU and spend time together, not critique your house cleaning skills.
I’m sure most of you are MUCH more organized than I am to begin with, but I was happy that we were able to have a pleasant weekend with our house guests, despite a dishes that remained dirty on the kitchen counter or the boxes that crowded the living room.
How do you get ready for house guests?
Calling All Tacklers!
We’re looking for YOU – guest bloggers to post about your own tackles right here. If you are interested in showing off your tackles (we all need some tips and ideas!) then send a quick email to lolli.5m4m at gmail (link in the About Lolli section at the bottom of the post). Thanks for your inspiring tackles!!
Mom Bloggers — what are you tackling this week?
Link up your Tackle it Tuesday post…
Tell us what you’re up to with all your other tackles… housework and otherwise… add your link to your tackle in the Linky below!
We are Tackling Our To-Do Lists Together and making housework bloggable — Each week on Tuesday, we are posting before and after pictures of a project or trouble area that we tackled this week.
Find out more about how Tackle It Tuesday began.
The project can be little or big – whatever you want.
Basically, Tackle It Tuesday is about giving ourselves incentive, deadlines and satisfaction in tackling all our tasks — whether household or otherwise.
If you tackled a project this week, just add a comment and add your link below.
Image from BigStockPhoto.com