Anna here with some great tips to help you stay hydrated this summer. Thanks to Brita for sponsoring this post.
Staying hydrated is something we should all do all year long, but during the Summer months when we are out in the heat it is especially crucial.
Why do we need to stay hydrated?
Giving our bodies enough water helps our heart to pump blood easier and helps our muscles to work more efficiently. Every cell, organ, and tissue of our bodies needs water to function properly, and if you don’t provide your body with the water it needs it will lead to dehydration. Water helps your body to regulate your body temperature, your heart rate, & your blood pressure.
How much water do you need?
Every person is different. If you are highly active you are going to need much more water than someone who works indoors at a desk all day. We all need plenty of water but the exact amount varies from person to person depending on your lifestyle.
A reasonable goal for most people is to shoot for 48-64 oz of water per day, with more if you are very active or workout rigorously. Besides water, eating foods that are high in water content can help you to stay hydrated as well. Melons (watermelons are 90% water), oranges, & grapefruits great choices as well as celery, cucumbers, & romaine lettuce.
5 tips to help you stay hydrated:
1. Always keep a water bottle with you. Keeping a water bottle with me at all times is how I make sure to get enough water in each day. After my coffee in the morning, I don’t allow myself to drink anything but water until I’ve had my daily water intake for the day. Water bottles like the Brita Hard Sided Filtered 1L Bottle is a great choice because you only need to refill the bottle twice to have your recommended daily water intake.
2. Carry a reusable bottle you like. The Brita Hard Sides Filtered Bottles come in 3 different sizes and also in several colors and designs to choose from. Plus using a reusable bottle will save you some money. Also, filtered water tastes better!
3. Add fruit, vegetables, or herbs to your water. Adding fruit can give you a fun change in the taste without adding in any unnecessary calories. Try lemons, limes, or oranges, freeze chunks of watermelon and use them instead of ice. Or for a fresh flavor try cucumbers and mint. There are lots of fruit infused water recipes on pinterest as well.
4. Start small, set a goal, treat yourself. When I started being mindful of the water I was drinking I couldn’t go from drinking only pop and sweet tea to drinking 8 glasses of water per day. I set a goal to drink 1 bottle per day, then 2 bottles of water per day, then 3, and so on. Treat yourself with a different drink of choice at dinner if you met your goal of water for that day.
5. Try a water tracking app. I personally use Water Your Body. It’s simple yet effective and you can set up alerts and notifications and track how much water you have drank and how much you still need to go for the day. It’s simple but effective and easy to use.
More about Brita Filtered Bottles:
The Brita Hard Sided Filtered Bottles come in two sizes, 1L & 700 mL. Both have built-in straws and Brita filters. The hard sided bottles come with a firm exterior so you can brave the elements. Dishwasher safe and NSF certified to reduce chlorine taste and odor and particulate. The 1L bottles are available in two fun patterns, Chevron & Clear Lines. The 700 mL bottles are available in Charcoal Grey and Blue with Patterned Flowers.
The Brita Sport Filtered Bottle, 590 mL is available in Dark Turquoise & Tangerine. This portable squeeze-bottle with a filter is great for the gym or sports. Also dishwasher safe and NSF certified like the hard sided bottles above.
Share With Your Friends
Your friends might be thirsty… tweet or pin this post.
[Tweet “5 Tips to Keep You Hydrated This Summer”]
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Brita but all opinions are my own.
Written by: Anna Hettick writer and food blogger at Green Eyed Country Girl.