Left over Easter Ham Split Pea Soup
- 2 bags of dried split peas
- 2 onions diced
- 5 celery stalks diced
- 6-8 carrots (med size) peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 ham bone Excess ham from ham, or package of diced ham
- 2 cans 64oz (big Cans) of chicken or veg table broth or 1 gallon of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with a Mirepoix (carrots, celery, and onion). Season with salt. Sauté till onions celery are translucent. carrots, celery, onions
- Crush in the vitamin C and 1 teaspoon on cumin.
- Add Ham bone with 1 gallon of water or 2 large cans chicken /or vegetable broth. The broth adds a layer of taste.
- Then add the split peas. Bring to a boil and turn on low. Allow to simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove bone and any excess ham parts.
- Add brown sugar.
- Using a potato masher mash the peas, the carrots float so they will stay on top.
- Allow to cooking for another 1-2 hours rendering the soup to thick.
- Added reserved picked and diced ham to pot, warm up the ham and serve.
- Note: If soup is too thick add milk (do not boil) to thin out.
Recipe by 5 Minutes for Mom at http://www.5minutesformom.com/75160/ham-and-split-pea-soup/