Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cinnamon Ginger Frosting
Author: Adapted from King Arthur Flour
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups (1-pound box) confectioners' sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystalized ginger
- (if needed) 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, enough to make a spreadable frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Insert cupcake liners into cupcake tin.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and egg.
- Add ¼ cup of the water, then half the dry mixture, and stir. Add the remaining water and dry mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and transfer them to a rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- For the frosting: Beat together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon, beating well. Add the ginger and mix well.
- If necessary, add the milk a little at a time, until the frosting is spreadable.
- Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes and decorate.
- Makes 12 cupcakes.
Check the cupcakes after 15 minutes so they don't overbake and dry out.
Use any decorations for the top, including decorative sugars or small pieces of crystalized ginger.
Recipe by 5 Minutes for Mom at http://www.5minutesformom.com/68405/gingerbread-cupcakes-with-cinnamon-ginger-frosting-with-recipe-linky/