Greek Custard Pie
Author: Penelope Guzman
Recipe type: Dessert
- 6 cups milk
- 1¼ cup Farina
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar and ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- ¾ cup butter, melted (for brushing)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour milk into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together farina and one cup sugar and stir into boiling milk gradually. Stir continuously until mixture thickens (full boil), then remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high. Add ½ cup sugar, and whip until thick, about 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Add whipped eggs into farina mixture and set aside.
- Grease 9x13 inch baking dish and layer five sheets of phyllo into pan, brushing each sheet of phyllo with butter.
- Pour the mixture into the pan over the phyllo.
- Cover with five sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter again.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the crust is crisp and the custard has set.
- To make syrup: in a small saucepan, stir together cup of sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- When the Galaktoboureko comes out of the oven, spoon the hot sugar syrup over the entire area. Powder lightly with cinnamon.
- Let cool, then cut and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe by 5 Minutes for Mom at http://www.5minutesformom.com/55634/greek-custard-pie/