Spring Fettucine with Ham and Leeks
Author: Lee of Foodie Plus 4
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 pound fettucine rigate pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed of roots and dark green, washed and sliced into ½-inch rings (substitute: 1 cup scallions/green onions)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 4 Tbsp. chicken broth or water
- 1½ - 2 cups diced ham
- ¾ cup heavy cream (I used half and half for a lighter version)
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, usually about 10 minutes in salted boiling water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add prepared leeks and cook about 4 minutes, until leeks are bright green or translucent and softened.
- Stir the frozen peas, ham and broth or water into the pan and cook 3 more minutes. Add the cream, bring to a low simmer and cook 4-5 minutes.
- While cream mixture is simmering, drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl.
- Stir butter into the cream mixture over low heat until melted. Stir in the cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the fettucine and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with shredded Parmesan.
If using fresh leeks, be sure to cut off the tough upper greens. Also, for easier cleaning, split the leeks down the middle and rinse between the layers to get out any sand.
Recipe by 5 Minutes for Mom at http://www.5minutesformom.com/53774/spring-fettucine-with-ham-and-leeks/