Marya Mesa, 5 Minutes for Mom contributor, shares an important reminder about home safety. This post is sponsored.
June is National Safety Month. Home is the place where we live, sleep, relax, play and spend time with our families. An important part of ensuring the safety of our family is making sure that we have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed in the proper locations around our homes. Unfortunately, it can be easy for busy parents to overlook. Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
One in four older homes need to update their fire safety equipment. How old are your smoke and CO alarms?
Replace smoke alarms every 10 years. Replace CO alarms every 7-10 years, based on model. Consider purchasing an alarm with a sealed lithium battery. It provides hassle-free protection for 10 years.
75% of homeowners don’t know where to install smoke alarms. Do you have enough?
Place smoke alarms on every floor and inside/outside of all bedrooms. Place a CO alarm near sleeping areas and on each floor.
Do you need other safety products?
Consider a fire extinguisher, escape ladder and a mold and radon kit.
Have you developed a family escape plan?
Practice regularly. Know two ways out of every room and who will assist children and those with mobility/health issues.
Do your children know their address and how to dial 911?
Post your home address and emergency phone numbers on the refrigerator.
Kidde Worry-Free Smoke Alarms offer an innovative solution to frequent battery changes and late night low battery chirps. Here are some of the benefits of Worry-Free Smoke Alarms:
- It’s Always On: 24/hr day, 7 day/week protection from smoke and fire
- Decade of protection: sealed lithium battery provides 10 years of continuous power
- Maintenance-free, hassle-free: never replace a battery during the alarm’s operating lifeNo late night low battery chirps: an end-of-life chirp tells you when it’s time to replace the alarm
- Location based attributes make it simple to select the right alarm for the right location in your home (like minimizing nuisance alarms caused by cooking.)
- Money savings: No batteries to buy and replace every six months, save up to $40 over the life of the alarm
- Quick and easy installation: simply twist the alarm onto the mounting bracket and it activates.
Kidde Worry Free Smoke Alarms are available at select home improvement stores and online retailers.
Kidde Worry-Free Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms offer 10 years of continuous detection from the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America – carbon monoxide. Each year, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 CO poisoning incidents, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Known as the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and invisible. The only safe way to detect it is with a working CO alarm. Industry surveys find approximately half of U.S. homes have a carbon monoxide alarm installed, and most of these are battery operated.
Benefits of Worry-Free Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Goodbye late night battery chirps: The sealed lithium battery is tamper proof and provides ten years of continuous power, meaning low battery chirps or battery replacement.
- Longest Sensor Life Available: Carbon monoxide sensor is proven effective for 10 years
- Money Savings: no batteries to buy and replace every six months, safe up to $40 over the life of the alarm
- Quick and Easys Installation: simply slide the alarm onto the mounting bracket and it activates automatically
- It’s Always On: 24 hour/day, 7 day/week protection fro CO
- End of Life Hush Button: After 10 years of power, the alarm will sound a warning to indicate if it needs replacing. The hush button will temporarily silence the warning for up to three days.
Kidde Worry-Free Carbon Monoxide Alarms are available at Home Depot and online retailers.
Take the Kidde Home Safety Challenge!
(And remember to select “5 Minutes for Mom” in the last question.)
Written by Marya Mesa, 5 Minutes for Mom contributor.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored.