Pineapple is not just a summer fruit anymore! I tend to use pineapple year-round on top of pizza, with roasted ham and also with pork tenderloin in the oven (love the combination of salt and sweet).
Right now you can download a .50 cent off coupon for a Del Monte’s Gold® Extra Sweet Pineapple today to get a boost of Vitamin C and add some sweetness to your favorite fall dishes.
Go to Facebook to “Like” Del Monte Fresh Produce and download the coupon.
Just click on the “Save” tab, complete a short form, and you will be directed to the downloadable coupon. Limit one per person while supplies last.
Try these Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins for a tasty treat. Go to www.fruits.com for more pineapple recipes and facts.
- 1.2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2.2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 3.1 10-ounce can pineapple slices
- 1.3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2.3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3.2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4.1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5.1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6.1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 7.2 large eggs
- 8.1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 9.1/4 cup canola oil
- 10.2 tablespoons pineapple juice or orange juice
- 11.1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12.1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple (not drained)
- 13.1 cup grated carrot (1 large)
- 14.1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 15.3/4 cup raisins, preferably baking raisins (see Ingredient note)
- 16.1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping: Sprinkle ½ teaspoon brown sugar into each muffin cup. Sprinkle nuts, if using, over the sugar. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 6 wedges. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup.
- To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in oil, juice and vanilla. Stir in crushed pineapple. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in carrot, oats, raisins and nuts, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and firm to the touch, 15 to 25 minutes. Immediately loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet. Restore any stray pineapple pieces and nuts. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve upside-down, either warm or at room temperature.