My daughter is a rock star. Her eating habits are definitely beginning to transfer my unhealthy way of eating to a more healthier lifestyle. She’s only 14, but has a great head on her shoulders when it comes to making healthy lunch choices. I’ve went from eating burgers and fries all the time to sandwiches, soups, veggies, and fruits — all because of her smart choices when we are grocery shopping.
Most of the time, when the word healthier is mentioned the first response from others is, I can’t eat healthy because it costs too much to eat healthy.” Thanks to Wal-Mart and their healthy lunch options, I can now change her good eating habits to great eating habits!
My daughter and I visited Wal-Mart armed with $25 to see what we could come up with that was considered “great healthy lunchbox” options. I asked her to create 5 examples of a healthy lunch and this is what she suggested.
- Lunchbox Option 1: The Breakfast Box: Yogurt cup, Apple bites, juice, lowfat Great Value Strawberry Bar
- Lunchbox Option 2: The Mexican Box: To go salsa cup (only has 50 calories), snack pack of tortilla chips, 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole, 2 small tortillas, 2 slices of honey ham, shredded lettuce, grape tomatoes, and grapes for dessert, flavored water (zero calories)
- Lunchbox Option 3: The Sandwich Box: Honey Ham Sandwich on Nine Grain Bread with mustard, carrot sticks with ranch dip (only 30 calories), sugar free jello, Sun Chips Harvest Cheddar flavor, flavored water, and Trail Mix with dark chocolate and whole dried cranberries (great for energy for the afternoon slump)
- Lunchbox Option 4: The Italian Lunchbox: Slices of hard salami (better choice than pepperoni), string cheese, to go marinara sauce pack (get the ingredients to make homemade and keep in the refrigerator), whole wheat bagel minis (100 calories per serving), water, orange, Great Value Applesauce
- Lunchbox Option 5: The Salad Lunchbox: Create a salad filled with all your favorite healthy components — romaine lettuce, tomatoes, diced cucumbers, diced squash, grilled chicken chunks, Shredded carrots and more. Drink a healthy dose of Great Value apple juice and finish your meal off with fresh strawberries dipped in dark chocolate.
What healthy lunchbox options would you come up with?
Enter to win a $25 Wal-Mart gift card
This is just one of our giveaways running every day in August for our Back To School Giveaway 2012. Please see the main Back To School Giveaway 2012 page for a full list of daily giveaways.
I received a $25 Wal-Mart gift card in order to write this review. All opinions listed are my own.