Fireworks. That is the number one thing that will be on everyone’s mind this coming July 4th. My family has already purchased some of the fireworks for our annual summer picnic. Yet we are also thinking about safety. Last year we had a bad accident when a sparkler fell into a box filled with other fireworks. Before we knew what was happening, the entire box exploded and my son’s leg was burned. Turns out, we weren’t alone — there are about 9,000 firework related injuries every year, and more than half of the victims are kids.
This year, we are going to be a bit more prepared and so can you — join 5 Minutes for Mom and Eye Smart for our next Twitter party on Fireworks safety, just in time for the 4th of July!
When: Tuesday, July 3rd 2012
Time: 8:00pm Eastern time/7:00pm Central time/5:00pm Pacific time
Theme: Fireworks Safety
Party Hashtag: #fireworksafety
Prizes: We will be giving away Amazon Gift Cards during the hour long Twitter Party. Every 15 minutes we will be awarding a new winner with a $25 gift card and the grand prize winner will win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
For a safe and fun Independence Day celebration, the American Academy of Ophthalmology urges everyone to follow these five tips:
1. Never let children play with fireworks of any type.
2. View fireworks from at least 500 feet away.
3. Leave it to trained professionals to handle and light fireworks.
4. Respect safety barriers set up to allow pyrotechnicians to do their job safely.
5. If you find unexploded fireworks, do not touch them. Immediately contact your local fire or police departments.
RSVP to the Party!
If you plan on attending the Fireworks Safety party, please RSVP! We would love to know you are coming.