I love pizza.
Scratch that — I ADORE pizza. During each of my pregnancies, it was the food du jour for the first trimester. When nothing else managed to excite my hormonal taste-buds, I could count on a hot steamy pizza to taste good.
These days, pizza is reserved for our weekly “Family Night.” Every Friday evening, I make one of favorite pizzas while my husband wrangles the kidlets, and then we eat, play games and be merry until the late, late hour of 8 pm when all little people must go to bed.
(ahhh, sweet bedtime)
These Whole Wheat Pizza Rolls are an easy way to change up your weekly pizza night — their size and shape make them easy for little hands to hold, and the whole grain flour adds more nutrients and fiber, making them a healthier option to your typical carry-out pizzas.
Plus, with the cheesy filling of Mozzarella and a bit of Salami, they’re just good… especially with a tasty dipping sauce. I always use some of my homemade slow-cooker marinara sauce, which is the perfect tomato sauce for pizza.
(Swooning just thinking about it!)
Intimidated by the thought of making your own pizza dough? Don’t be! The dough I use for these pizza rolls (and nearly every pizza variation I make) is practically fool-proof: mix, kneed, roll-out, top and bake. All in all, it’s an easy 20-30 minute process for hot, fresh, homemade pizza rolls.
I like easy.
Does your family have any weekly theme nights for dinner?
- 1 Cup of warm water
- 1 Tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 1 Teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of Italian Herb Blend
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2½ Cups of White Whole Wheat Flour*
- 1½ to 2 cups of shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Cup of Salami
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar and yeast in the one cup of warm water.
- Add the remaining ingredients and use a wooden spoon to combine till a soft dough is formed.
- Using floured hands, kneed the dough direction in the bowl until it is smooth and pliable.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until the dough is flattened into a rounded rectangle and is around ¼” thick.
- Sprinkle cheese over the dough.
- Down the center of the dough, layer your salami or preferred meat.
- Starting at the long end of your dough, roll the dough toward the center — you do not have to have a tight roll.
- Once rolled, cut it into 1½ – 2″ slices.
- Line your baking pan or cookie sheet with foil and spray with a cooking spray.
- Place the pizza roll slices on the pan, allowing room in between each slice for expansion as they bake.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot with your favorite pizza sauce.