Checking in With the Sisters – Rebuilding Life
I’ve been sick all week. That’s what happens in a family of 7 when mom is playing doctor to 5 kids taking turns passing around the illnesses. It catches up. The interesting thing about being sick, though, is that I end up spending less time working and more time reading. If it weren’t for the fact that my throat hurts and my body aches, I’d say that a few days of taking it easier than normal has been quite enjoyable.
As I was checking in with our sister sites this week, I ran across an interview post on 5 Minutes for Special Needs with Harriet Cabelly, a Life Coach who’s also a mom of an grown child with special needs. She specializes in helping individuals and families rebuild their lives – and grow into even better ones – despite challenges they face.
Among other sound pieces of advice, Harriet left these gems of encouragement:
- Get to the How’s of life – How to thrive and pursue your dreams anyway.
- Work on yourself. Meditate. Bring forth gratitude each day. Appreciate the good around you, however small you feel it is at the moment. Bring joyful times into your daily life, whether it’s a walk, a book, quiet time; nurture yourself in a way that brings you pleasure. Exercise to keep you strong physically and mentally – it really works.
- Purpose – hold onto that purpose for it is what keeps you going and getting up each day. When Nava was in the hospital for one year, my purpose kept me going with strength and sanity. I woke up each day to a clear purpose – to be by her side as a cheerleader, encouraging her in her most arduous work of recovering and regaining her bodily functions and motor skills.
- Don’t run away from the painful feelings. Work them through. Allow yourself permission to feel badly. You will come out the other end with daylight on your side.
- Don’t wait for later. We’ve got one life to live here, live it with purpose and intention. There will always be bad times and difficulties; put in and create the good and meaningful times and experiences. Infuse your life with what you love. Don’t wait for later. Now is the time.
Building blocks photo from Big Stock Photo.