Early this afternoon, like most afternoons, I was busy at my computer, working on another post while I flitted back and forth between WordPress, twitter, Facebook, and email.
All was calm in my little home office (really just a corner of my bedroom) until I opened up an email from someone that I had met at an event last week.
It was the normal follow up. Happy to meet, would love to work together soon….
“BTW, I went to your blog today, and the site appears to be down.”
“Your site is down.” Horrible words to hear. Of course, these are also words that inspire immediate action. So instead of working on the other items on my to-do list, I tackled my blog.
What do you do when your my site appears to be down or formatting is a mess?
I’ll assume that, like me, you aren’t a WordPress whiz. Sure, I can do a lot behind the scenes, but when it comes to diagnostics, I am typically lost. Here are the steps I usually take (luckily my site doesn’t go down too often!):
- I repeat these words: Don’t panic.
- Take a look at the blog myself – is it down for me? What kind of message am I receiving?
- Post a shout-out on twitter and Facebook to see what other viewers are experiencing.
- Ask myself: have I added or updated any plugins on my site? Plugins seem to be the biggest culprit in site-wide mess-ups.
- Deactivate any recently added or updated plugins, one by one. See if getting rid of a problem plugin could fix the site issue.
- If my initial trial doesn’t work, then I call for help, first from my blog host and then from my friends and followers on twitter and Facebook. (Sometimes I find that friendly people on twitter are my best resource).
Hopefully, within those 6 steps (or less), the site is back up and running properly. Every once in a while It’s not a problem with my blog, but it’s a server issue, and all I can do is wait. In those cases, I turn off my computer and enjoy some peaceful time offline.
Have you had problems with your site not working or showing up properly? Do you initially panic like I do?
Calling All Tacklers!
We’re looking for YOU – guest bloggers to post about your own tackles right here. If you are interested in showing off your tackles (we all need some tips and ideas!) then send a quick email to lolli.5m4m at gmail (link in the About Lolli section at the bottom of the post). Thanks for your inspiring tackles!!
Mom Bloggers — what are you tackling this week?
Link up your Tackle it Tuesday post…
Tell us what you’re up to with all your other tackles… housework and otherwise… add your link to your tackle in the Linky below!
We are Tackling Our To-Do Lists Together and making housework bloggable — Each week on Tuesday, we are posting before and after pictures of a project or trouble area that we tackled this week.
Find out more about how Tackle It Tuesday began.
The project can be little or big – whatever you want.
Basically, Tackle It Tuesday is about giving ourselves incentive, deadlines and satisfaction in tackling all our tasks — whether household or otherwise.
If you tackled a project this week, just add a comment and add your link below.
Here is a fun thumbnail linky:
And here is a basic linky if you prefer your linkies the good old fashioned way!