Kat Tomasewski, mother of three, author of the blog Mom on the go in Holy Toledo and the book Minimize the Chaos in order to Maximize the Joys of Motherhood is our guest tackler today talking about how to prepare for and tackle those holiday road trips with kids…
Tis the season for travel!
With the Holidays vastly approaching travel is inevitable, and along with travel comes the travel torture. We all know it, even if you have been blessed with the best little traveler in the world eventually tormenting repetitive comments cometh.
Some of the classic tormenting chatter we hear in the car:
- Are we there yet?
- I have to go potty?
- How much longer?
- I am hungry!
- Done…Done…Done (my husband’s favorite, our son yelled this after only two hours into a 15 hour journey).
This is when mommy needs to pull out her fun bags…no, not those fun bags (where is your mind?) – bags filled with fun activities for the kiddos. These will vary depending on the age of your children but it is wise to have a small tub with a lid for each child that contains activities they will enjoy.
Items to include in the car for toddlers & preschoolers:
- Coloring books (only 3 crayons & watch them in extreme heat)
- Quiet toys- doll or action figure
- Stickers (might end up on car- vinegar & baby oil will get off any adhesive left behind. Sometimes ten minutes silence is worth the clean up later.).
- Movie (If you have DVD player in car- if not, get one. Movies are perfect for long car rides. Must have strict rules, only watch movies during long trips, that way it is a special treat, and not the norm.).
- Car bingo
- Encourage older children to play additional car games together (20 questions, what animal am I, Name the healthy food- see hybrid time)
I suggest packing in your luggage new time filling activities for the journey home. This way they are not already bored when they get in the car to go home.
You are now prepared for travel. Happy trails!
Calling All Tacklers!
We’re looking for YOU – guest bloggers to post about your own tackles right here. If you are interested in showing off your tackles (we all need some tips and ideas!) then send a quick email to lolli.5m4m at gmail (link in the About Lolli section at the bottom of the post). Thanks for your inspiring tackles!!
Mom Bloggers — what are you tackling this week?
Link up your Tackle it Tuesday post…
Tell us what you’re up to with all your other tackles… housework and otherwise… add your link to your tackle in the Linky below!
We are Tackling Our To-Do Lists Together and making housework bloggable — Each week on Tuesday, we are posting before and after pictures of a project or trouble area that we tackled this week.
Find out more about how Tackle It Tuesday began.
The project can be little or big – whatever you want.
Basically, Tackle It Tuesday is about giving ourselves incentive, deadlines and satisfaction in tackling all our tasks — whether household or otherwise.
If you tackled a project this week, just add a comment and add your link below.
Here is a fun thumbnail linky:
And here is a basic linky if you prefer your linkies the good old fashioned way!
Family travel shot from Fotolia.