Scholastic Study Helps
One of my goals for Amanda this summer was for her to get her multiplication facts down pat. She’s actually always been good in math, but she hates to memorize, so since they’ve been working on multiplication for the last two years, she has resisted the effort it takes to memorize them perfectly. She can figure them out of course, but as you know, she can’t move on to higher math without this skill.
She just started fifth grade, and we’re still working on it, but at least now she understands that she must put forth the effort on her own. She loves being on the computer, even if it’s an “educational game.” That’s why I’m so happy when I find sites like Scholastic StudyJams.
Are your kids ready for back-to-school? Take the StudyJams! Summer Challenge and find out by clicking here: http://studyjams.scholastic.com/sj/challenge.htm
Did you know that kids who don’t engage their brains during the summer lose academic ground coming into the new school year? Studies show that without ongoing learning activities over the summer, students lose up to two months of math and other subject knowledge during the summer break. It’s a little late for us, since I didn’t find StudyJams! until right before she started school, but I’m making up for lost time now (Everyone knows the first few weeks — or even months — of elementary school is all review anyway).
StudyJams! is an online learning experience for kids in grades 3-6 that explains the most challenging math and science topics through:
* Animated science and math videos that demonstrate concepts in real-world situations, using real-world language
* Step-by-step tutorials that demonstrate ways to solve equations
* Karaoke songs that make it easy to remember the differences between mean, median, and mode, or how to use the scientific method
* An age-appropriate encyclopedia lets kids research topics in real-time as they use the service
* A Jam Studio that let kids create and produce their own downloadable MP3s, providing incentives for students to keep coming back and view more instructional content to gain points
I can’t wait for Amanda to use it throughout this year to enhance her educational experience.
Are you trying to regain skills that were lost this summer? Does your child have a weak area in one of the core curriculum areas? We want to help!
- The grand prize winner will receive One-year Free Subscription to Scholastic StudyJams!, a $25 gift certificate to Scholastic Online Store, and a StudyJams! Karaoke CD.
- 2 readers will receive a $25 gift certificate to Scholastic Online Store and a StudyJams! Karaoke CD.
- 2 readers will receive a StudyJams! Karaoke CDs
If you’d like to win (U.S. addresses only), please leave a comment here. We’ll post the winners on Saturday, September 27.