Sometimes I think teenagers get a bad rap. Some of the best people I know are teens.
The teens I know are helping the new kid feel comfortable in her new school.
They are junior counselors, mentoring younger kids.
They are teaching younger students to read.
They are active – sports, jobs, school, and church – and they are smart and successful.
The teens I know are warm and inviting, even to an “old woman” like me. They offer hugs and smiles and notes of encouragement.
A few months ago, I got this hand-written note on a torn piece of paper from a teenage student of mine:
You’re awesome. That’s all there is to it. I love your lessons….even if I talk during them sometimes, I really do love them. And I love how adorable you are too and your sense of humor. Love, E
The teens that I know have restored my faith in this next generation. They are strong. They are born to be leaders.
Coca-Cola Announces Call for Nominations for London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay
Do you know an inspirational teenager? Coca-Cola is calling for nominations of teenagers to receive a once-in-a-lifetime experience – the thrill and honor of carrying the Olympic Flame during the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay.
Nominated teens should reflect Coca-Cola’s Live Positively values
- Healthy, Active Living – Do they inspire others to live positively by staying active, making smart choices and encouraging others to live healthy, active lifestyles?
- Community – Do they strive to make a positive difference in communities near and far?
- Environment – Are they active in recycling, sustainability or conservation programs that help protect the planet?
How to nominate a teen to carry the 2012 Olympic Torch
If you know a teen who is living a positive, inspirational life, go to LivePositively.com to submit an essay (150 word max) that expresses why the nominee is a great example of living positively.
- Nominees must be legal residents of the U.S. and between the ages of 13 and 18 as of July 25, 2011.
- Nominations will be accepted through 11:59 p.m. EDT on Monday, August 15, 2011.
Hurry! The nomination period ends in less than a week. How cool would it be to see someone you know participating in the 2012 Olympic opening ceremonies?
Note: We are being compensated for our time to let you know about this amazing opportunity for teens with Coca-Cola and the 2012 Olympics. All experiences and opinions are our own.
Written by 5 Minutes for Mom managing editor Lolli. You can find me blogging at Better in Bulk and tweeting at @1momof5.